Bleached solid oak table top – features, maintenance and ageing process. Everything you should know
It is wooden worktops have recently become increasingly popular. They tempt designers and future kitchen users with their warmth and naturalness. Wood always adds cosiness to interiors, is pleasant to the touch and is natural. It is a universal material and can be used in various styles. But what does the use of such a tabletop look like in terms of functionality, maintenance and ageing process? What are the main differences in the use of bleached wood? In the following article, we will try to answer that and share a little bit of our technical knowledge in this aspect.
Bleaching wood: A step-by-step guide to achieving a beautiful finish with long-lasting protection
There are several steps to bleaching wood:
- Initially, a water-based stain with a dye is applied, which deeply penetrates the wood structure
- The next stage is the application of a suitable oil with a colourant – which additionally creates a coloring and protective layer
- Finishing layer – which protects two previously applied layers
The whole process includes the application of 4 layers, which takes about 7 days. Full durability is achieved after approx. 2 weeks after completion of the oiling process.
In order to further deepen the colour, after the table has been used for some time, stages 2 and 3 can be repeated.
Examples of bleached solid oak tables
Bleached tables are of high interest. Below we present authentic photos sent by our wonderful customers:
Features of the bleached wood
- Bleached wood ages naturally which is one of its most beautiful features. You can leave this effect if you like otherwise it is enough to refresh the surface of the countertop once every 6 months, (we write about this later in this article)
- Please note that due to the individual character and batch of wood, there may be slight deviations in colour and grain (different shades of white, some parts of wood such as knots may be grey or have a slight blue tint)
- We would also like to emphasize that each batch of wood has its own unique pattern and structure which affects the final effect and colour of the tabletop. Each time the effect is different and individual.
- Please only take into account the fact that the difference between the colours in the pictures is due to the different lighting of the product in the picture and the colours and range of the display.
Maintenance of the bleached wood
- If you want to deepen the bleaching colour – this is possible by reapplying oil with white pigment during maintenance work.
- It is possible to get a more noticeable white color by applying more dye, but the natural wood features and grain will still be visible.
How to easly re-fresh bleached tabletop at home?
- Use sandpaper to sand the entire surface of the countertop
- Apply oil with white pigment
- Finally, protect the whole surface with hard wax oil
The whole process is very similar to regular oil application, the only exception is that the first layer is oil with white pigment: https://sfd-craft.com/how-to-oil-furniture/
The aging process of bleached solid oak table tops
A bleached tabletop will always wear gently during prolonged use. The color oxidizes and becomes more similar to the natural colour of the wood and slightly yellow.
Round extendable tables vs bleached top: We usually produce round extendable tables treated with transparent wood oils, and smooth wood. The bleached top always gently wipe off during long use, and the colour becomes more similar to the natural colour of the wood. After a few months, a difference may appear between the main top and the extension. Of course, we recommend maintaining and oiling the wood surface once every 6 months, but the difference will still be visible.
In summary, bleached dining tables are a beautiful and natural addition to your interior. They add warmth, cosiness and a touch of elegance to rooms, making them a popular choice with designers and kitchen enthusiasts. Understanding the functionality, maintenance and ageing process of these tables is essential for their long-lasting beauty.
If you have any further questions or would like to explore this topic further, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to provide you with additional information and help you make the right choice for your Home.
The Team of SFD
Tags: bleached solid oak table, bleached wood, sustainable furniture design, handcrafted furniture, handcrafted dining table, solid oak table, scandinavian table, hygge, interior design, solid wood furniture, hygge home, bespoke furniture,
We invite you to read also :
- Solid wood table construction. Everything you could ask for.
- Solid oak tabletop with or without overhang. What is the difference?
In case of any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.
#WLCM_HOME #WLCM_CRAFT #WLCM_DESIGN #WLCM_NATURE
HAVE YOU SEEN THESE?
Why us? SFD Furniture Design’s brand values make our solid oak furniture unique
You can get the best custom furniture designs developed into classy yet fitting for your interiors. In SFD brand we design and create s…
Daily cleaning of oil-treated wood tables – how to clean wood tables?
Oil-treated wooden furniture is very resistant to dust and water and small scratches and stains are not easily visible. …
How to choose the right wooden dining table for your Home?
A dining table is a place where the whole family and friends gather. Read our article and learn how to choose the right wooden dining t…
BASIC FEM bleached oak wood dining table
€ 890 – € 2.020
ALASKA bleached modern oak dining table
€ 1.490 – € 1.930
KVADRAT WHITE square oak kitchen table
€ 1.490 – € 1.930