It is Wooden worktops have recently become increasingly popular. They tempt designers and future kitchen users with their warmth and naturalness. Wood always adds cosiness to interiors, is pleasant to the touch and natural. It is a universal material and can be used in various styles. But how does the use of such a table top look like in terms of functionality, maintenance and aging process? What are the main differences in the use of bleached wood? In the following article we will try to answer that and share a little bit of our technical knowledge in this aspect.
There are several steps to bleaching wood:
- Initially, a water-based stain with a dye is applied, which deeply penetrates the wood structure
- The next stage is the application of a suitable oil with a colorant – which additionally creates a coloring and protective layer
- Finishing layer – which protects two previously applied layers
The whole process includes the application of 4 layers, which takes about 7 days. Full durability is achieved after approx. 2 weeks after completion of the oiling process.
In order to further deepen the color, after the table has been used for some time, stages 2 and 3 can be repeated.
*more info about regular oiling process you will find here: https://sfd-craft.com/how-to-oil-furniture/
1. Examples of bleached solid oak tables
Bleached tables are in high interest. Below we present authentic photos sent by our wonderful customers:
2. Features of the bleached wood
- Bleached wood ages naturally which is one of its most beautiful features,. You can leave this effect if you like otherwise it is enough to refresh the surface of the countertop once every 6 months, (we write about this later in this article)
- Please note that due to the individual character and batch of wood there may be slight deviations in color and grain (different shades of white, some parts of wood such as knots may be gray or have a slight blue tint)
- We would also like to emphasize that each batch of wood has its own unique pattern and structure which affects the final effect and color of tabletop. Each time the effect is different and individual.
- Please only take into account the fact that the difference between the colors in the pictures is due to different lighting of the product in the picture and the colors and range of the display.
- If you want to deepen the bleaching color – this is possible by reapplying oil with white pigment during maintenance work.
- It is possible to get a more noticeable white color by applying more dye, but the natural wood features and grain will still be visible.
- How to easly re-fresh bleached tabletop at home :
- Use sandpaper to sand the entire surface of the countertop
- Apply oil with white pigment
- Finally protect the whole surface with hard wax oil
The whole process is very similar to regular oil application, the only exception is that the first layer is oil with white pigment : https://sfd-craft.com/how-to-oil-furniture/
4. Aging process of bleached solid oak table tops
- A bleached tabletop will always wear gently during prolonged use. The color oxidizes and becomes more similar to the natural color of the wood and slightly yellows.
- Round extendable tables vs bleached top:
We usually produce round extendable tables treated with transparent wood oils, smooth wood. The bleached top always gently wipe off during long use, the color becomes more similar to the natural color of the wood. After a few months, a difference may appear between the main top and the extension. Of course, we recommend maintenance and oiling the wood surface once every 6 months, but the difference will still be visible.
- Bench for the FEM set: Please note, however, that bleached wood will be subject to wear during use – the bench will develop slight scuffs where you sit and use it more
If you liked the article and want to learn more about that topic please contact us, we are happy to answer all your questions.
The Team of SFD
Tags: bleached solid oak table, bleached wood, sustainable furniture design, handcrafted furniture, handcrafted dining table, solid oak table, scandinavian table, hygge, interior design, solid wood furniture,, hygge home, bespoke furniture,
We invite you to read also :
- Solid wood table construction. Everything you could ask for.
- Solid oak tabletop with or without overhang. What is the difference?
In case of any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.
#WLCM_HOME #WLCM_CRAFT #WLCM_DESIGN #WLCM_NATURE
HAVE YOU SEEN THESE?
Solid wood table construction. Everything you could ask for
If you are wondering what is a solid wood table construction – we have an answer! Feel free to read this article where we try to answer for your questions!
Live edge oak dining table handcrafted with great care
Handmade live edge dining table of the highest craftsmanship quality. Learn its story! Learn more and check out our SFD Furniture Design page!
Why us? SFD Furniture Design brand values make our solid oak furniture unique.
SFD Furniture brand values. What make us stand out on solid oak furniture market?