How to oil furniture?
Oiling woodwork is a nourishing alternative to modern varnishes. It protects and beautifies wood while creating a water-resistant finish and makes the grain of the wood stand out. Whether using Linseed, Tung oil or other types of oil, you can learn how to oil woodwork in just a few easy steps.
1. Sand the wood to a smooth finish with extra fine 220 grit sandpaper.
2. Apply a liberal amount of oil directly to a small section of your wood.
(we recommend hard-wax natural oils.)
3. Rub the oil into the wood with a clean, dry soft cloth. Make sure to rub the oil in the direction of the natural grain of the wood. Rub hard to work the oil well into the wood.
4. Continue this process until all the wood is covered.
5. Let the oil stay on the wood for approximately 30 minutes.
6. Remove any excess oil from the wood with a dry cloth.
7. Allow the wood to stand for at least 24 hours.
8. Pour a liberal amount of oil onto a piece of 600 to 800 grit wet-and-dry sandpaper.
9. Work the oil into the wood again using the sandpaper. This helps to push the oil deep into the pores and really starts to enhance the appearance of the wood’s natural grain.
10. Repeat this process until you’ve covered the entire surface of the wood with the oiled sandpaper.
11. Wipe off any excess oil from the wood with dry cloth.
12. Allow to stand for another 24 hours.
13. Repeat the sandpaper finish as many times as you like, until the desired luster is achieved. Just make sure to remove any excess oil and allowing the wood to dry for 24 hours between each coat.
It may take several days for the oil to cure completely.
In case of any further questions about how to oil furniture – do not hesitate to contact us.
SFD Furniture Design
HAVE YOU SEEN THESE?
Why us? SFD Furniture Design brand values make our solid oak furniture unique.
SFD Furniture brand values. What make us stand out on solid oak furniture market?
Solid oak table top with or without overhang. What is the difference?
Have you ever wondered what the difference is between a solid oak table top with or without an overhang? We have got an answer! Check out our page now!
Daily cleaning of oil treated wood tables – how to clean wood table?
Oil-treated wooden furniture is very resistant to dust and water and small scratches and stains are not easily visible. The wood absorbs the oil, creating a soft surface that protects the wood and makes it both dirt and water repellent. Oil-treated wood develops a...
Solid Oak Dining Tables & Natural Raw Wood Finish
If you’re looking for a unique way to finish your Home, read our article and check why furniture with a raw wood effect may be the perfect option.
How many people can I seat at my oak dining table?
Are you wondering how many people you can seat at the dining table? In our article, we’ve put together a quick guide on table sizes and seating capacities.
How modern wood furniture can help you be more productive at work?
If you’re looking to boost your productivity, read our article and check the benefits of modern wood furniture in your workplace.