The maintenance of solid wood furniture
In the article you will find information about:
- Everyday cleaning of a wooden tabletop
- Cleaning of very dirty areas and removing small scratches
- Repairing dents
- Annual care of wooden tabletop
While you chose the solid oak wood table as a solid, sturdy, virtually indestructible option for your dining room table, it is important to take proper care of this piece of furniture to ensure that it lasts for lifetimes. In this article, we will explain to you the basics of taking care of woody tables in house conditions.
Solid oak wood with a natural surface is so ingenious that you can care for it yourself at home. This type of wood has many unique natural features, it is solid and durable and regulates humidity, which means that after many years of use, SFD solid oak furniture looks almost the same as it was on the day it was made and our customers are always in able to maintain this condition of the furniture through regular care treatments.
Everyday cleaning of a wooden tabletop
How to maintain and repair your wooden tabletop: Tips for removing stains and protecting the surface
All acid fluids such e.g. vinegar, alcohol or lemon water can cause some damage to the wood surface. In case of such contact, please immediately wipe it off with a damp cloth and then dry it with a soft one. Other fluids which appear on the tabletop should be immediately removed. It is recommended to put dishes and vessels (glasses, etc.) on placemats. That will protect the wooden tabletop from moisture and water.
How about heavy soilings like the dried circles from the red wine glasses and small scratches caused during everyday use? We will try to help you and explain how to do this. The most important thing is that you carefully sand the wooden tabletop (until the stain is removed) and re-oil with the same oil that was originally used for your furniture. If your wood tabletop has not been serviced since purchase, this would be a good time to take care of the entire surface as well.
You can do the procedure for removing stains and maintaining the wooden tabletop yourself at home. It does not require the purchase or use of special equipment it is sufficient to use manual sandpaper with a thickness of 120, then 180 and finally 220 (for manual work with paper, a cube sanding sponge is helpful, which you can also click on paper of the desired thickness).
To protect the wooden tabletop, we recommend using the same oil as was originally used during the initial oiling process of that particular furniture.
Usually, you can find the product card attached when buying the oak oiled table. Useful information on preserving the tabletop should be included in there.
How to repair dents in wood?
Dents can be completely repaired. You need to rub the spot with the coarse and fine sandpaper as in the instruction in the above point then apply water steam out with the help of a damp cloth and iron.
Finally, sand once more, apply oil, and polish the wooden tabletop and you will see that a dent disappeared.
Annual care of wooden tabletop
Once-twice a year (depending on the intensity of use) it is recommended to impregnate the wood surface with oil.
Here are the guidelines:
- Dust off the wooden tabletop, clean it with a damp cloth and let it dry completely.
- Prepare the oil according to the producer’s instruction (we recommend using the same oil as the furniture was oiled initially).
- Then thoroughly and carefully rub the oil on the whole surface of the wooden tabletop, first in a circular motion, then along the directions of the boards. Rub the oil in so long that the oil layer is as thin as possible. The wooden tabletop should gently shine, but the oil layer should not be visible. If excess oil is visible, wipe it off with a dry cloth. The oil is thick and solidifies quickly so the oil application process should last max. 10-15 minutes.
- Let the tabletop dry for approx. 48 hours. If the top is heavily worn and the oil has been completely absorbed by the wood, the operation can be repeated after this time.
- Usually, the oil acquires full strength/hardness after about 7 days from the moment of application – earlier it is suggested to protect the top from external factors – variable temperature, humidity, etc.
Essential steps for maintaining solid oak tables
To summarize, in that article, we wanted to point out the most important steps that help you to keep solid oak tables in a beautiful look and great condition for decades.
Please remember the essentials of wooden tabletop maintenance:
- Everyday gently cleaning
- The proper cleaning of very dirty areas
- Repairing small scratches and dents
- Annual care
We hope that the information provided is sufficient and comprehensive for you.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns. We’re here to help!
The Team of SFD Furniture Design
Tags: wooden tabletop, oak wood, solid oak wood, oak furniture, solid oak furniture, wood maintenance
We invite you to read also :
- Why us? SFD Furniture Design’s brand values make our solid oak furniture unique.
- Oiled or varnished wooden table top? Learn the main differences
In case of any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.
#WLCM_HOME #WLCM_CRAFT #WLCM_DESIGN #WLCM_NATURE
HAVE YOU SEEN THESE?
Why us? SFD Furniture Design’s brand values make our solid oak furniture unique
You can get the best custom furniture designs developed into classy yet fitting for your interiors. In SFD brand we design and create s…
Live edge oak dining table handcrafted with great care
Handmade live edge dining table of the highest craftsmanship quality. Learn its story! Learn more and check out our SFD Furniture Desig…
Oiled or varnished wooden table top? Learn the main differences
Oiled table tops have recently become increasingly popular. They tempt designers and future kitchen users with their warmth and natural…
FJÄRIL BLACK round non-/extendable oak table
€ 1.370 – € 3.070
SLICE BLACK oak dining table
€ 1.420 – € 1.530
MÅNE OVAL black/white solid oak extendable dining table
€ 1.840 – € 2.970